Thursday, April 28, 2005

Why I need a hobby

Have you ever watched a movie that was okay and all but one scene stuck with you?

I have been haunted by "The Rules of Attraction" which I saw on the weekend. Yeah, I found James Van Der Beek from "Dawson's Creek" as a drug-dealing man-slut to be an interesting casting choice. Ditto Fred Savage ("The Wonder Years" and the voice of my kid's favourite cartoon "Oswald"!!!) as the junkie college student who shoots heroin between his toes.

No, what is reverberating in my head is this scene where a young woman slits her wrists in a bathtub while Harry Nilsson's icky song "Without You" is playing in the background.

I don't know if it's the visual or if it's the song that won't go away. Neither are very nice.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do I get rid of it? I was thinking of subjecting myself to something more - or equally - worse, like, say, watching American Psycho again (that one was just stupid. Gross, but stupid. Two hours of my life I'll never get back again) or perhaps a Barbie movie retrospective. Or maybe I should do the opposite and watch something highbrow; something that will make me think. Or perhaps I should listen to more of that innane middle-of-the-road music; the stuff I had to listen to ages ago at the easy listening radio station I worked at for three years. I swear, I can sing waaay too many songs by The Carpenters and Terry Jacks for someone my age.

Or maybe I should just get a life.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Jules said...

You'll never lose it Jen. I've had the theme song from the Tonight Show popping into my head for a good 10 years now and I never even watch the darn show.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing