Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Ode to my clothesline

A friend of mine lives in an upscale part of town. Newly built, the telephone wires and such are buried underground. For this, I'm told, their taxes are huge. She pays something like $5000 a year for a house and lot about the size of mine. The sum is so much, they end up paying their property taxes on a weekly basis, just to keep up.

There's also a list of restrictions in her neighbourhood, stuff I find weird like no company vehicles are allowed to be visible. They also cannot have clotheslines.

Ack! I dunno. Another friend told me I have issues because of my love, at 10-years-old, for Rene Simard (JW, didn't you ever have celebrity crushes? I have a list a mile long). But here's another admission for you all to ponder my sanity: I can watch my kids' clothes rippling on my clothesline in the gentle breeze for eons. It is oddly serene.

See? I'm so retro!

If you don't already, try hanging your clothes out. Here's some things I've learned along the way:

1. When hanging dress shirts, put them on hangers. They dry faster and smoother and, well, you're going to have to hang them in the closet eventually.
2. Hang jeans on the line because they take bloody forever in the dryer.
3. Save a couple of loads of socks, underwear, and other small things. Run those in the dryer because they'll dry super quick.
4. Because sheets dry very quickly, hang them last on the line so you can take them down first. You'll then have more room for more clothes.
5. Turn your dark clothes inside out and then hang them. This way the sun won't bleach the colour.
6. Hang things upside down (from the hem). Then you won't get peg marks at the shoulder.

My electricity rate is increasing this month. Charming husband used to balk about his clothes hanging outside, but not anymore!

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing