Saturday, April 09, 2005

Getting your colour palatte from Maybelline

It takes a man strong enough in his masculinity to walk into a bathroom his wife just painted and say, “That’s a really beautiful pink! This room looks so much better.”

I spent the whole day painting our main floor two-piece in “Unspoken Love”. Actually, I went to the Benjamin Moore with my favourite eyeshadow and told the guy, “Can you match this?”

This is where watching too many of those home decorating shows gets you in trouble. Who's that southern chick on Trading Spaces? The one with the curly auburn hair? Anyway, that one once said that all powder rooms should be painted in a colour that most complements the skin tone of the woman of the house.

And yet, I’ve always loved the bathroom no one dared use at my Nanna’s house. It was all powder blue and white with gold accents (and a cherub theme). She did that up in the late 50s and, well, you could tell. (Just a sidebar here, I mean, NO ONE used that bathroom. She had baby blue toilet paper. Anyway, my cousin, who was about 5 at the time, decided she wanted to use it - we all secretly used it once in our lives. She made a plunker but forgot to flush. My grandmother was all in a kafuffle, searching for the stink days after).

So was it the gold accents? I thought I’d take a shot and I bought some gold Krylon; that’s the paint you can spray on anything, including glossy plastic. I did the switch plates. Oh man, they are a thing of beauty. Then I started spray painting fricking everything - the wire shelving, a plastic cup I use for storage, a wicker container that holds my tampons. I love this stuff! Pink and gold rock! Now I’m thinking I’ll do some sort of Parisian theme, get some fleur-de-lys, go through the husband’s backpacking photos and see if there’s any I can use. I’m getting silly.

And still, the husband asked when I’m going to do the other bathrooms. Did he think I did a nice job or is he just happy because he didn’t have to work?

The bathroom was originally a beigy white,

so not really "fugly" as much as boring.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing