Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Adoration of the Sacrament: Praying and Preying

I'm locking my doors these days.

You do that when there was an attempted murder and abduction on your block.

I live across the street from a Catholic church. On Fridays from sunrise to Saturday's sunrise, they have what is called the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. This is where they leave a blessed communion wafer up at the altar, thus meaning that the body of Christ is there, open for all to see. A handful of parishoners sign up to be at the church at all times; "You don't want Jesus to be alone," my mother says.

This past Friday at about 6:40 pm - not late - a woman was in the church alone when a man walked in and asked her for some coffee money. She told him she had none but instructed him how to find the priests.

He left but came back shortly with a big shard of glass and demanded the purse off the woman. After he found she truly had no money, he tried to take her. She managed to get away but he cut her on the back of her head. She called police and they found him at the park just over the bridge.

I talked to the pastor today about the incident. Apparantly, he was a drifter; not even from town nor had he any familial ties around here. "It doesn't shock me that someone would do that. What is shocking is that it would happen in our town," the priest said.

Hey, padre, if our county can be the number one crystal meth producers in Ontario, you can bet that there are a whack load of meth users too.

All the same, I wonder if the church is going to rethink the Adoration policy. I'm rethinking my own policy of allowing my children to play on the front yard.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

holy cats i hadn't heard about this!!

wowsa. kinda sad when even church becomes dangerous.

this is just one more argument in favor of locking one's doors at night.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing