Monday, April 30, 2007

I'm a Winner!

I figure it has a lot to do with being one of the last ones to drop in a ticket.

I don't win raffles. In fact, I've only won two (technically three) in my life. One was in 1983. I was so moved by the senior band's prize of a JVC boombox blaring Duran Duran that I bought a ticket during the dying minutes of the last period. I'm pretty sure I was the last person to drop a ticket in the box. Anyway, I won my very first stereo which got to play all sorts of fine 80s music (Japan, anyone?).

The kids' school had their annual Family Fun Night. The school doesn't fundraise, but holds these sort of things in order to get some bucks for extra school supplies.

I really hate Family Fun Night. Imagine every kid at the school, along with their family, coming out for fall fair type games in the gym. And the hall is lined with baskets that each class had made. Middle Child's class basket had an "I Love to Bake" theme so everyone donated something related to that. Daughter's class had a Family Bath Night/Spa theme.

We got to the school 30 minutes before it wrapped up. We quickly bought tickets (from Slowplum - here's your shoutout, child) and divided them up - 3 raffle tickets for each kid and one for me. Daughter and Baby Boy dropped them for the baskets they really wanted. Middle Child told me that we had a better chance mathematically to enter a ticket for a basket that didn't have too many tickets. So I put one in the Coffee and Tea Time basket. He chose Patio Days, I Love to Garden, and the autistic children's sensory toys.

The president of the council called out the winning numbers shortly thereafter. We won the coffee and the patio stuff. Husband went up to accept one of them and was coming down the stage steps when another one of our numbers was called. If you know Husband, geez, was he embarrassed.

But he said it was worth his embarrassment because the stuff people donated was insanely good.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Dude you totally earned those damn baskets. Know what this is? Vindication for the anniversary thing.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing