Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Look, Mum! A Skeleton!

Having my mother over wasn't too bad. Sure, she rearranged everything in my kitchen (and I put everything back yesterday, thanks). Sure, she criticized most everything I wore. But she did make her awesome soups every single day, which made the kids (and Husband) so incredibly happy. It was also wonderful to have an extra adult to take care of one kid while I was off with another. It was like being two places at once.

"Why are all the grandmothers we know the cookers? Why aren't the grandfathers?" Daughter asked this morning.

"Because grandfathers are old and in the olden days, boys weren't taught to cook. That's why our grandmothers always cook for our grandfathers," replied Middle Child.

And then...

"But what about Gramma? She never had someone like a husband," reflected Middle Child.

So I reminded the kids that once, a long, long time ago, Gramma and Granddad were married and lived together.

"I keep forgetting that because there's no pictures of them together with Daddy and his brothers," shrugged off Daughter. Honey, I'm sure there was but it got destroyed.

And then...

"But who is the guy with the glasses holding Gramma's hand in the pictures of your wedding, Mummy?"

"That's Gramma's second husband."

"Whaaaaaaaaaaa???!!!!" the kids said in unison.

"Er, yeah, Gramma has been married two times."

"Did Daddy know the second husband?"

"Of course, he did. And so did I. He taught Dad how to drive, how to shave, all kind of dad things. And your Dad and your uncles liked him very much."

"So why did Gramma get divorced TWO times?"

I gave them a short answer, something about them fighting all the time. One day, I'll tell them the long story, which they need to know but just not right now. Maybe then I'll also tell them that Granddad was married and divorced twice too.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing