Monday, September 04, 2006

Ian Has the Last Word on Shoelacing

The two older kids are chomping at the bit. They can't wait for school to start tomorrow.

I mentioned that to a few people, only to get the response, "Are they weird?" Okay, maybe they are a little, but I understand why they are excited. School for them is a huge part of their social selves.

Daughter has had her backpack filled for a couple of weeks now. Indoor shoes: check. Filled pencil case: check. Lunchbox with a container of non-perishable rice crackers and a peanut-free granola bar: check.

Middle Child, on the other hand, figures that I'll get everything ready for him tomorrow morning, and he's right. I got out his indoor shoes - very cool black low-cut Converse-ish ones with lots of Jolly Rogers all over - and had him show me that he remembered how to tie shoelaces. Oh, he can ... it just takes him about two minutes per shoe. I've been to their school at recess and that just won't cut it.

So I've replaced the black shoelaces with black elastic from my sewing-kit-of-wonders. Daughter thought it was sheer genius. Hell, I'll take the adulation because I have a very limited time until I will be incredibly uncool in her eyes.

Anyway, I didn't have a lot of elastic left, so I went online to see if there's a lacing method out there that could show me a way to lengthen the laces. People, Ian's Shoelace Site is all you will ever need regarding the subject. Parents and elementary school teachers, check out the "Ian knot" and thank me later.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing