Friday, September 22, 2006

How Would a Canadian Chef Plate Maltese Food?


bragoli
Originally uploaded by Nimcheena.
Apparently, like this.

I went to a local restaurant, which was featuring Maltese food, and ordered bragoli. Really, it was the only authentic dish on the menu; the rest were just recipes using commonly found Maltese ingredients (like the tuna steaks in blood orange sauce that my mother ordered).

The bragoli was terrific. You would have thought someone's nanna made it. I loved having it too because it takes so bloody long to prepare that I never make it. Basically it's a steak hammered thin and then rolled up and stuffed with ground beef, hard boiled egg, some herbs, and usually Maltese sausage called salzett but the restaurant used pancetta.

Best of all was spending the time with my mum alone. We used to go to the Eaton's restaurant at Sherway Gardens in Toronto every Saturday for high tea when I was in university.

Anyway, now I've been ordered to disinfect my fridge while she plays Star Wars with Baby Boy.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Jules said...

mmmmm, that sounds yum. But the question is, did it pass the mom test?

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing