Sunday, August 06, 2006

Royal Jules

I talk a lot, it's true. But I have a very good memory making me, in turn, a good listener.

I can't tell you the amount of life skills I've learned from my friends. Husband and I have the upstairs of the new building rented and the new tenant wanted some sort of lease agreement. Oh crap. We tried to figure it out ourselves, when I said, "Bah! I'm calling my cousin M." And, of course, she imparted a wealth of knowledge through her experiences. And she's so damned cool.

But lately, advice from my friend Jules come back to me in waves. "Treat husbands as if they have autism. Praise the good behaviour and ignore the bad."

Holy doodle, does that work! Yesterday night, when he got home from golfing with his apey "I've been outdoors all afternoon" stink, he kissed Baby Boy who was having a bath and then sat beside me on the bathroom floor. And he started, "I bet you had a busy day. I'll take the bedtime shift and you go relax."

Okay, he didn't smell like another woman. No visible hickeys. And then ...

"It's days like today that I realize how good you are to me."

This is after a whole week of, essentially, not cooking. It was partly because of the heat but more because no one is helping to tidy the kitchen; not even clearing their dinner plates from the dining room.

I scoured the kitchen on Sunday night, leaving me happy to make a nice garlic salmon on the grill, a Maltese recipe for thinly sliced baked potatoes, and some brussels sprouts. I had to clean everything. Fine. The next day, I made spaghetti. Husband told me to leave the leftovers in the pot and he'd take some to work the next day. The pot didn't move. For days. Wednesday, I made sandwiches and a tossed salad. I made a half dozen hard boiled eggs on Thursday. I made nothing on Friday. And I let the dishes pile up. It killed me, but I thought a sharper point couldn't be make with a knife.

Daughter totally understood and loaded the dishwasher on Friday night. But I buckled and scoured the kitchen again yesterday.

Now, Jules has made a rule in her house that if she cooks, her husband cleans and vice versa. Makes sense. I'm told this is common in most households (hello to my gym mammas ... and Ken). So if the kitchen isn't clean, Jules just won't cook. I wish. If supper isn't ready by 6, I've got three foragers pulling all sorts of food out, making even a bigger mess.

We had Jules's youngest son over for dinner once and he asked to be excused when he was done. Apparently, I beamed like a million suns. Even my little egotist Middle Child said, "Wow, you're sure happy that K has good manners like that." Yeah, Einstein, so does that give you a hint?

I have a strict rule about us all eating together at the table, and I've just broke Husband from his habit of reading the newspaper during dinner. I also came up with a game to promote conversation called "Two Truths and a Lie" where everyone has to say three things about their day. The rest of the family has to guess which one didn't happen.

But I think I'm going to come right out and tell them all to start cleaning the kitchen. If they don't like it, they can make dinner and I'll be happy to wash their dishes.

However, this week I've been strictly enforcing (think bad-ass South American police) my rule of no eating except in the kitchen or dining room. I'd be almost enticing a revolt.

2 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Let me know how getting the fam. to help out in the kitchen goes. I've tried the strike routine - I always end up buckling. Sorry I missed your call. We went out camping for the first time in literally years. Now I'm all burnyburny. Egads.

Jules said...

Jeepers, I wondered why my ears were burning yesterday! Did you see my kitchen today?????? We ate on styrofoam plates tonight (sorry enviroment) and I cooked nothing because we had a fridge full of salads. Tomorrow will be touch and go.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing