Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Blane? That's not a name. That's a major appliance.

Remember how I couldn't get "The Rules of Attraction" out of my head?

I found a way. I saw...PRETTY IN PINK!!!

Admittedly, I saw the movie four times in the theatre at the time. I'm dating myself by admitting this, I know, and bringing to your attention that I was 16 when Sixteen Candles came out (do you wonder what ever happened to Michael Schoeffling?) and I was getting ready for my own prom when Pretty in Pink came out.

I had a mad crush on Duckie. I loved Andie's outfits - with the exception of that gawdawful prom dress. The one Iona gave her was perfect in every way. Mind you, this is the girl who wore a $12 vintage red/black taffeta Marilyn Monroe-esque 50's number. And I went to a high school where the clique rivalries made the Vietnam war seem congenial in comparison.

I watch the movie and I remember all those preppies, though I don't remember any dressed like Steff or Blane. Those Miami Vice linens slay me. Oh, Steff. I remember thinking he was such a stereotype but now, 20 years later, I can recognize the character as an upscale scuzzbucket in an embryonic stage.

Ah, high school romance. I never trusted the boys. I always felt their actions toward me were made of one part benevolent altruist and one part dog penis. But I digress.

And the soundtrack rocked! They needed The Rave-Ups' "You Lost It All When You Lost Me" but, hey, they had Echo and the Bunnymen. You gotta remember that those John Hughes films' soundtracks were all a cut above anything else offered in other movies.

But I always felt that the movie ended wrong. Blane's prom speech, "I believed in you but you didn't believe in me" had me wondering if he was hepped up. Yeah, he believed in her; that's why he ignored her upon his friends' requests. Maybe because I identified with Duckie, I thought that the devoted Duckman was robbed. Apparantly, the original ending was Duckie and Andie ending up together but test audiences were disappointed and John Hughes didn't want the idea of a cross-class relationship inevitably failing.

Now I hear that John Hughes is planning on a sequel. Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy and Jon Cryer have all agreed to be in it. I'm hoping there would be the others: Annie Potts, Spader, Harry Dean Stanton of course. Gina Gershon, Dweezil Zappa, Kristy Swanson (the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Andrew Dice Clay and Dean Wormer's real life daughter were in the original movie too. And the actress who played Andie's friend, Jenna, died. I read she was beaten to death by her boyfriend...or had an allergic reaction to something. FYI, Merrit Butrick, the guy who played Slash on "Square Pegs" (and Kirk's son in "Wrath of Khan") died of AIDS in the late 80s. Gotta love the internet!

I'd probably watch it, I must say. But you just know it's gonna suuuuck. I'm thinking it will go something like this: Andie and Blane break up that summer once they realize they have nothing in common and, frankly, he's going to the ivy leagues and she'll be going to some other university. Fast forward 20 years, she's some single mom (knocked up by some musician), still listening to music on her iPod. She bumps into Blane in a Starbucks. Finds out he's penniless after he and his parents took a dive with tech stocks. The next day she goes to Barnes and Noble to find Duckie signing his bestseller "Strong Lips".

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing