Friday, July 08, 2005

But is Kathie Lee Gifford in the Belfry?

At the end of my street, there are two churches, both with bell towers.

The Catholic church's bells ring at noon and six. That's nice enough, but the Anglican church (I think that's Episcopalian to you Americans) absolutely sings. Their bells ring out long elaborate songs, richly layered and, frankly, rather catchy.

I had always assumed that the songs it plays, usually around 7 pm, were hymns. But yesterday, we were out for a walk (okay, going to the 7-11 for Slurpees), when we ran into one of the kindergarten teachers at my kids' school. She was pushing her stroller with her husband and the two of them were laughing.

"Having fun?" I asked.

"Yeah, we're actually trying to play 'Name That Tune' and it only took us 26 steps."

"Huh?"

"St. Andrew's bells! They crack us up! Haven't you noticed that they play a lot of middle-of-the-road 70s songs? Listen. They're playing 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again.'"

Sure enough, they were. So that gave me the incentive to sit on my porch and keep listening. I didn't get the next one but the one after that was definitely Can't Keep My Eyes Off Of You.

If they take requests, I hope they know some Edward Bear songs. Those are in my range.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing