Sunday, September 23, 2007

Crazy week. Got tsk-tsked by The Artist Formerly Known as Sunshine for not updating this blog. "Death to Facebook!" she wrote me. Hey, honey, I haven't updated Facebook so much either.

Anyway, last weekend, ma famille and I made the long trek into Hogtown to attend the First (Hopefully) Maltese Potluck among my paternal cousins. It was actually my idea, born out of the tailwind of a great family gathering last spring. I love Maltese food. I love my cousins' company. And there are fewer and fewer opportunities for us to get together. Getting together at funerals isn't so much fun, either. Add it up and, voila, the idea came to be.

Actually, I had mentioned the idea years ago and my youngest paternal cousin reminded me of it at the tailwind of a great family gathering last spring.

I wanted to host it, but I live too far for my Toronto-area family. Baby Sister graciously ended up having it at her new house. She and Home Chef ended up renting a 55-cup coffee maker and a whack-load of chairs, all which we didn't need.

At the last minute, we had a flurry of cancellations. So only five cousins came (with families). And it was fine. Better than fine. It was still an awesome time.

I fell in love with Youngest Cousin's two children, thrilled that they took to me and happy to give Youngest Cousin some time off. Been there; done that. Eldest Cousin scored two cases of Kinnie, bittersweet pop available only in Malta and, in my opinion, the best thing to come out of a bottle. E.C. and her sister gave me their mother's Maltese apron, which I wore proudly through the party. The grown-ups stood around the kitchen gabbing, and the kids were in the basement watching TV or playing in the backyard. It was just like what we did at our Nanna and Nannu's but the cousins graduated to the kitchen.

Everyone brought one (or more!) Maltese dish. We had pastizzi, torta, those fried spaghetti pancakes (does anyone know what they're called?), Maltese picnic salad (again, don't remember the name), stuffed eggplant, patata-fil-forn, ros-fil-forn, and pudina. The kids also got into crudité and chips, but they all ate Maltese. Even the youngest, 10 months old, tried her first pastizzi. Everything tasted great and we had more than enough food.

Eldest Cousin phoned me later in the week. "I just wanted to reiterate that you had an excellent idea and that my sister and our families had a really, really good time," she said. "We really want this to happen next year."

I want that, too. And, Artist, you can come as well if you want.

2 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

the pasta pancakes - do you mean crespelle?

Jules said...

For shame girl - GOOGLE

Taria (Spaghetti Pancake)

http://favoritemeals.com/_wsn/page3.html

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing