Wednesday, September 12, 2007

All By Myse-eh-elf

Shhh. Can you hear that? No? That's because – whoop-whoop – it's so quiet! Mmm, delicious!

Today was Baby Boy's first day of junior kindergarten. He'll be at school all day Wednesdays and Fridays and every other Mondays.

So many people were asking if I'd be all teary today, what with my baby gone, empty nest syndrome and all that. Nope! Maybe I should have lied and said how gut-wrenchingly difficult it was going to be. Maybe then people wouldn't think I have such a cold, cold heart.

But this, THIS is something I haven't had in over nine years: Jennifer time! Oh cripes, I bid the little guy goodbye (he was so excited and happy) and I got applause by two of my friends who knew what day it was for us. Anyway, so I was starting to walk home and thought, "I could plug in the iPod and jog it home. Or I could walk over a couple of blocks to the diner and order up some hash browns and not have to share." The possibilities were endless.

I made sure I have nothing to do today so I can do whatever I want until I have to pick up the kids. No meetings. No housework. Okay, Baby Sister has me going out to pick up stuff for a party we're having at her place, but even a trip to the store without kids is going to be just great. Pathetic, eh?

So, I'm going to sit in a bath this afternoon with a Manhattan, give myself a facial, a mani-pedi, wax myself silly, NOT listening to Avril Lavigne or Simple Plan or fucking Steely Dan (you can't convince me otherwise, Jules and Slowplum, that stuff is just musical wank to my ears). The hum of whatever is on Family or Teletoon or Treehouse will be off. That's not to say I won't be cranking something myself but, again, the possibilities are endless!

I probably wouldn't be like this if I wasn't 100 per cent certain that Baby Boy would have any difficulty with this new life chapter. The child has never woken up in a better mood; he has never jumped out of bed faster. He laid out his clothes the night before (frog t-shirt with yellow Hawaiian shirt with woodies and surfboards over top, jeans and his Mickey Mouse belt. Skeleton Airwalks on the feet with TMNT socks). Backpack: check. Full lunchbox: check. Hoodie if it gets chilly: check. Favourite trucker baseball cap: check. Lock and load, Mumma. And we were outta there.

Do I dare expect this day to go off without a hitch? I'm crossing my fingers while I blare some music.

2 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Congratulations, lady, welcome back to YOU time! You aren't cold for not feeling teary-eyed - this is an exciting moment and I for one am glad you are going to carpe diem.

Anonymous said...

Bath and a Manhattan. Why can't I be more like you, Jen? Lurve ya!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing