Friday, September 28, 2007

Apparently, I'm Going to Hell

Surely, I wasn't the only parent who had their back up when we were sent a letter from the principal of the school and the chair of the Catholic Education Committee.

It stated that they were encouraging us NOT to support the Terry Fox Foundation during the school's Terry Fox Run because they have ties to NCIC which carries out research with human embryonic stem cells (hEC). Despite the fact that NCIC's website states that no money from the Terry Fox Foundation is used to support research involving hEC, the school wants us to write cheques to another charity and that they were going to write a letter to the TFF outlining the school's concerns.

When I learned this was going down at the kids' school, I sat down and wrote an email to the principal. Apparently, I was the only one. It went something like this:

"I appreciate that, as a Catholic school, (the school) must maintain the tenets of Catholicism. That being said, I feel it would have been more democratic to have brought this issue up at an open-door meeting instead of having a letter, with content some may not agree with, sent to a very worthwhile organization in everyone's name. And had the majority present at such a meeting agreed with sending a letter, I would take no issue with this. Because this will be sent without discussion or option, I feel misrepresented.

"With so few true Christ-like Canadian heroes to expose our children to, Terry Fox is one that even the youngest in our school can comprehend. He suffered daily, in training and during the Marathon of Hope. He suffered physically, emotionally, financially, and he did it willingly for the benefit of all who are touched by cancer.

"If money from the Terry Fox Foundation is not supporting the NCIC's research using hES, I really don’t understand why we are diverting funds from this very important and helpful organization. It sullies the legacy of this great young man and the work of all those who choose to do good in his spirit."

The principal ended up phoning me last night. "You sent such a compelling letter, Jennifer. You raised points I didn't even think of."

Whether I'm pro or con hEC research isn't the point. I'm just pissed that such a contentious issue can be brushed under the carpet. And, uh, did they do their homework before they sent the letter or are they just going to come off looking like twits - in my name, I may add?

Anyhooo, he asked me to present my very valid points at the next council meeting. "Or I can stand for you, if you want."

Hey, I said, I'm a big girl and I've never shied away from controversy. I can hold my own, I told him. All I can hope for is that the parent council actually hears what I'm saying.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

So does that mean you are coming to the council meeting?

ps I didn't have time to talk to the principal, otherwise you would *not* have been the only one - sort of had some drama going on that had to be taken care of...

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing