Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Few Things That Piss Me Off

1. People who walk on the road in slushy and/or icy road conditions instead of walking on the sidewalk are just asking to get hit by a car.
2. Hoarking. Ew. Ew. Ew. I don't care if you're congested. Use a tissue.
3. Phony bastards who treat me different when they learn I'm "a doctor's wife".

Let's expand on number 3, shall we? Granted, I'm not your average middle-aged mother of three, or at least I don't think I dress the part. I play the car stereo way too loud. My footwear of choice is usually Chuck Taylors or Airwalk slip-ons (the 80s version). I wore liquid eyeliner and red matte lipstick before it was in fashion and I'll still be wearing it when it goes out (yup, me and Dita von Teese). Sure, some people look at me like I eat kittens or something.

But it's these same people who take their parents to Husband and then see my photo (holding baby Daughter) in the opertory and then, the next time we meet, I'm worthy.

I don't watch Oprah. In fact, I hate her with the fire of a thousand suns. Okay, maybe I don't hate her. I just don't relate to her and she could never relate to me. Oh, and I think she reeks of falseness. But I digress. I caught an episode (actually could only stomach 15 minutes of it) about how people judge you according to your appearance. A stranger immediately upon looking at you will make assumptions on your income, upbringing, and way of life. And I'd buy that. I know this from my days as a blue-haired goth with straight As (except in math – I won't lie).

So when people treat me differently when they know what my husband does, I get put out.

Only today did I realize that when people ask us, "How the hell did you two ever get together?" or make the comment "You guys are such opposites," that maybe people are wondering what could Husband possibly see in me.

3 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Some people need to be stabbed with a giant knitting needle. For serious.

Alexander Williamson said...

I guess people walk in the road because the sidewalk is more slippy.

Perhaps, since some people call life "sacred", we shouldn't just rush around in cars and instead think about how much a human life is worth instead of getting annoyed at them for slowing us down in our cars.

Anonymous said...

A Bag of Hammers here. Believe me, the sidewalk is probably less icy than the road. Where I live, the government ensures all sidewalks are clear. If my vehicle hits an icy patch - and I'm not driving fast in those conditions - I lose control and could seriously maim anyone dumb enough who is sharing the road with 1 tonne machines. In addition, the city leaves a snowbank between the road and the sidewalk. And we get LOTS of snow here.

It's a safety issue through and through. If life is "sacred" then respect yours and walk on the sidewalk. Period.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing