Saturday, December 01, 2007

He Knows If You've Been Bad or Good

Yesterday, I handed out individualized letters from Santa to each kid in Middle Child's class. It was awesome to see their reaction. They're still young enough to totally believe in the guy in red and, for all their acting cool, reading the letters had them wide-eyed with wonder.

The letters had lots of kids swell with pride with all the compliments and embarrassed giggles with the suggestions for improvement. Nothing harsh, they just said stuff like, "eat all your vegetables," "get to bed when your parents tell you," and "please remember to raise your hand if you have something to say in class."

Slowplum's son was a bit baffled when he got to the end of his letter. "Santa wrote something in Spanish. I don't know Spanish!" Actually, it was Portuguese and if you saw the kid, you'd know there's a kitchen rooster in his relative's house. Luckily, I knew it read "merry Christmas and happy new year" in Portuguese and told him. "That's incredible! He knew I was Harry Potter for Halloween AND he knows I'm kind of Portuguese!" What was incredible was watching him and his classmates read and reread their letters.

Middle Child's letter, of course, was most detailed. It went to great pains about how he needs to stop arguing, particularly with his siblings. And when he got home, he bitched about Baby Boy being in his way all the time and bit him on the bum.

Middle Sister once got a lump of coal in her stocking. She was a teenager and it was a bit of a joke (she got her gifts later), but it made a point. Would it be awful if Santa did that to my kids? I know Middle Sister would kill me, but, boy, all the kids would be really freaked out by that.

3 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Let me know if you find that coal. I'm half-tempted to do it to K because not only did a note come home stating he was sent to the principal's office AGAIN for rough-housing, but he failed to show it to me and I still wouldn't know about it if I hadn't found it on the floor... AFTER already dropping them off at school. At my wit's end here. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

Don't do it! Middle sister was a teenager and not at the age where she was going to be disillusioned. Maybe a typewritten note saying and he has a few things to work on for next year.

Oh and the coal were actually rocks I’d found outside.

Slowplum said...

Oh, I wouldn't forgo actual presents, but maybe attach a warning note to a rock.. it doesn't matter really, K knows he's been generally a good kid so there's no way Santa will let him down.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing