Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Damn My iPod

I was finally getting around to writing my Christmas cards. I was in my spinning class this morning when I realized I only have a week, so I should get at it. I was writing a few, listening to my iPod (including a note to my uncle to let him know that I love him. I'll probably get in shit for it, though). I end up forwarding a lot of songs because they remind me of another time or people from long ago.

"Play That Funky Music White Boy" by Wild Cherry reminds me of my mother-in-law's second husband getting down at my wedding. We lost touch after they divorced, sadly. He was a great guy.

"Planet Claire" by The B-52s reminds me of my roller disco days at Scooter's. I never did a proper shoot-the-duck, though.

"Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins was the last song I heard before I gave birth for the first time. It also reminds me of riding with Middle Sister to her wedding with me and Baby Sister singing along while the bride probably wanted to puke.

"So. Central Rain" by REM reminds me of this mixed tape a guy made me and, being young and dramatic, I read into it and wondered why he never called.

"Mr. Brightside" by The Killers reminds me of a time long before the song came out...but never mind. Let's leave that one in the past. Too bad. Great song.

There's always something, though. Some songs even remind me of my loved ones' pasts and I didn't even need to be there with them. Pretty much every song reminds me of something so if I were to take them off the mp3, I'd have nothing there.

Am I the only one who can't listen to a song without associating it?

1 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

I suffer from the same curse. Sometimes I feel as though my aural memory outstrips my olfactory one. I more or less have to force myself through it, otherwise I wouldn't have anything to listen to and that really, really sucks.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing