Friday, November 02, 2007

Lunch With Richard Manuel

I wasn't invited or anything. I just showed up for lunch at Richard Manuel's place by the river. I brought tea and oranges (yes, they came all the way from China), as well as some leftover tandoori chicken I made last night. I don't think Richard minded. By the looks of things, no one is beating a path to him these days.

So, you're probably wondering, "Who the hell is Richard Manuel?" Ever heard of The Band? They had songs you'd know if you heard them like "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and "Up On Cripple Creek". Anyway, he was the keyboardist.

Now, I live too far from my relatives but I really wanted to have lunch with someone today. It's a New Orleans tradition, though it's supposed to be done around 12:01 a.m. Yeah, if I ate that late at night, one of the gym instructors would give me a lecture if they found out. Anyway, Richard doesn't live far.

I talked a bit, pulled some weeds and did some polishing with the napkin I packed. Got hit with a couple of wonderful inspirations (could it have been the creative presence of a musician? Or maybe I'm just that brilliant). And I enjoyed the sun that found its way to beam on my face. Ooh, it felt so great I needed to really bask in it, so I lay down beside Richard right there on the cold, damp floor. I dig juxtapositions. I wondered aloud if many women lay with the guy these days. But, again, by the looks of things, no one has been around much.

Hopefully, I'll do it again next year. I forgot how peaceful cemeteries can be.


2 other lazy people left a message:

Jules said...

hmmmm. You could have called me. The new Japanese place is amazing. Mind you there is solice in laying with corpses. I guess.

Slowplum said...

See this, this is one of those Chicken Soup moments.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing