Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

I remember waking up at the crack of dawn to catch The Hilarious House of Frightenstein when I was a kid.

My kids are astounded to hear that their dad and I didn't have round-the-clock children's programming on TV; that kid shows were only on Saturdays from 6 (this show) until 11, when Fat Albert ended. Of course, there were after school specials, but that was only for an hour, and there was morning cartoons on the Buffalo stations. My favourite was Rocketship 7. There was some morning shows on for the wee, like The Friendly Giant (my sister was afraid of Rusty the Rooster), and Mr. Dressup (God rest his soul). If you went home for lunch, you could catch the Flintstones at 12, just after The Uncle Bobby Show.

That last show actually really resonated with me. I went to Brownie camp with Traffic Officer John's daughter, but moreover, there's catch phrases that I use to this day that, after checking out this website, I realize originated from that show. And, if I'm remembering correctly, my mum once sent in my name and Bimbo the Birthday Clown read out my birthday greeting. Or was that by Dave on Rocketship 7???

What I would do for one of those Uncle Bobby or Rocketship 7 t-shirts. Of course, it would totally date me and place me. Husband didn't have these, being from another province, but he did have J.P. Patches, which I didn't.

And, you know, these shows weren't all that great; not when you compare what is being offered today. Case in point is the show made by Billy Van, Billy Van, Billy Van, etc. As entertaining as I found Frightenstein (and I did, in fact, love the show), it was kinda slap-dash and cheesy. I guess that was part of the charm.

Well, over the weekend, Middle Child stumbled upon it. He was riveted! We found out that it also airs on the Space Channel at 7 am. Guess what he did this morning? He even set an alarm for himself. I kissed him at the door of his school this morning and he replied, "Ooga booga!"

1 other lazy people left a message:

Jules said...

Geez, I don't remember Uncle Bobby at all but definitely Rocketship 7, Captain Kangeroo and HR Pufnstuf - I think my first ever crush must have been Jimmy...or maybe Bobby Sherman from Here Come the Brides...

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing