Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Very Superstitious

If my grandmother wasn't having surgery tomorrow, I wouldn't be so rattled by the three chain e-letters I received today.

You know the sort: blah, blah, blah, God is great, here's an angel for you, now be strong enough to pass on this letter to eight of your friends in eight minutes and a miracle will happen tomorrow. Or something like that. Chain letters suck. It's proliferated by superstitious people, I say. Maybe my sense of spirituality is skewed but I believe in preordination or karma or whatever. If you knew the story of how Husband and I met, you'd know why I think this way.

I saw my grandmother at The World's Easiest Baby's (TM) christening on the weekend. She seemed to be in good spirits but one could tell she was worried none-the-less. I mean, how else do you read her sighs of, "Whatever happens, at least I saw this little one's baptism."

My grandmother is one strong dame. She's still very "with it" in her head and in her body. She stays active. She gets out with friends. She still lives in her own home. And you would SO be on her shit list if you called when "The Young and the Restless" is on. I believe she has strength on a different layer, knowing how she lived her life and the tough situations she maneuvered with aplomb. Case in point: she knew she had to learn to speak and read English because my grandfather was in the army and got moved around quite a bit. So she picked up some Beano comics and started from there. That story never gets old!

Simply put, I can't imagine life without her. I know it will happen one day, but I'm not ready for that. Will I ever?

My mum and my aunts (and cousin C) were there at the christening. I don't know if they were just enjoying the day or if they were taking it as it comes, but they seemed very relaxed and happy. I think I can safely assume that they are as tense as I am, if not more, but seeing them laugh and having a good time made for a day of happy memories.

Anyway, I didn't pass on the chain letters. I figured my grandmother herself would say it's a load of crap to believe in their threats.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing