Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Middle-of-the-Night Thoughts

Ever wake up in the middle of the night and you're doing Grand Prix laps in your head?

I am having one of those nights. It doesn't help that my stomach has been upset almost all day and I have a cold that I just can't shake.

The only hint that I was feeling poorly was a few days last week when the cold made me lose my voice. To be honest, it freaked the kids (and my parents who phoned) to hear me talk like Brenda Vaccaro. Although I was actually feeling alright those days, Daughter in particular really picked up the slack around here and helped out.

She has these bouts of maturity beyond her years, and then there are days when she screams and cries at the drop of a hat. I'm sure we're dealing with the onset of hormones here. What else could it be? This sort of behaviour started almost overnight after her last birthday.

I'm shaking in my Blunstones, fearing those teenage years which are around the corner.

Slowplum came over the house a couple of days ago. She slapped me upside the head when she reminded me that Grade 8 is but a handful of years away. The Grade 8s at my kids' school tower over me. The girls have breasts. Slowplum swears some of them are sexually active. Shaking, I tell you.

5 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

I would bet money on it, lady. I still remember the people in MY grade 8 class who were active (and not just by rumor, but fact)- why would it be any different today?

Just remember, I'll be shaking right alongside you.

Jules said...

Well as the mom of one of the future grade 8 boys you have nothing to worry about from my camp - he knows that any of the girls will punch him in the chops if he so much as tried. New neighbour E and he have been glued together since Saturday. He's afraid of her. She can kick. I won't let them play behind a closed door. Until grade 12 if then even.

Jen said...

Your guy is like a brother to Daughter. I think if anyone tried to break her heart, the poor chump would have to go through your Dude. And vice versa. That's nice.

Slowplum said...

Not trying to stir the pot here, but I don't think all blame for sexual activity can be laid at the feet of the males of the grade 8 population - I'm pretty sure that some girls our there participate without any coercion from the boys. Just saying.

Either way, uh. Have you met my husband? He'll strike the fear of God into any boy C shows an interest in, heheh.

Slowplum said...

our/out. Serves me right for not checking before hitting "submit".

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing