Monday, March 19, 2007

Why I'm Going To Hell: Reason #23

I was raised in a relentlessly Catholic family. We went to Mass every Sunday. Mind you, I eagerly anticipated the after-trip to the Italian bakery nearby because my dad would always buy my sisters and me some gelati or some kind of treat.

As long as my sisters and I were in that house, we had to go to Sunday service. End of discussion. Even when I end up sleeping over there on a Saturday now with my family, I'm still expected to attend Mass.

But on my own? Yeah, I'm not that diligent. Last Sunday, I went to the local church for the first time this year (shhh, don't tell Mum) and the priest went off a bit on secularism and how it's a cancer on the soul of humanity.

I'm sorry. IVF? It's a good thing. Controlling the spread of STDs with the promotion of condom use? It's saving lives. And don't get me started on birth control. Pierre Elliot Trudeau's shining moment, in my mind, was when he said that the government has no business in the bedrooms of the nation. And, frankly, neither does any organized (or unorganized) religion.

I might just sleep in again next Sunday.

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing