Thursday, June 15, 2006

Attending Journalism School Made Me Sensitive


And I'm making ashtrays. I'm so witty, I'm a regular Quentin Crisp.

Crappy journalism is alive and well and seems to have made its home at Fox News.

So I'm at the gym, forced to watch either Fox news, the country music channel, an infomercial or Much Vibe. Some talking head on Fox is going on about the "terrorists in Toronto". Blah, blah, blah "... and one of them went to flying school!"

Had I mentioned how much I enjoy The Colbert Report?

It was made perfectly clear last week that the kid took a very basic introductory community college course on airplane aerodynamics and mechanics. And he dropped out not far into the class. No flying, but maybe the kid can identify components of avionics.

I've worked at a number of Canadian news sources in my career as a journalist. People got fired for less reason than that. I myself almost got canned for putting the wrong page number on the Sunshine Boy page (unintentional, I swear). I pleaded with the editor and managing editor that they couldn't hire my replacement for as little as they were paying me. They laughed and kept me on.

My cousin works in law enforcement. She drives a van, shuttling prisoners from the jail to the courthouse. She made a special trip to see the terrorist suspects but was starstruck (my aunt's words) when she saw the guards in full battle gear and handling pseudo machine guns.

Follow your dreams, my darlings.

1 other lazy people left a message:

Jules said...

I swear I blew red wine out my nose - sorry to Jennifer's relatives - at the Quentin Crisp reference. NIce to see you finally got that ashtray.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing