Thursday, April 17, 2008

Positive Spin

Baby Sister's shower went very well, I think. As is always the case at family get-togethers, there was too much food. Of course, that's a good thing.

Baby Sister had a good time. Her work friends started a chant, "Cry, (Baby Sister), Cry!" which isn't a difficult feat. What took me off-guard about that was it followed a speech Baby Sister had made. The work friend who started the chant is a Jehovah's Witness whom, I was told, would have to leave the room if someone made a speech. Or was it a toast? I served liquor, too.

My cousins on my dad's side arrived first. Mum and Dad were out with some last-minute stuff. "My parents are gone," I said. "Let's raid their liquor cabinet!" My eldest cousin thought that was a riot and she hadn't even had a sip of the vermouth yet.

Middle Sister wasn't feeling well. She stood off to the sides, not wanting to touch anything or anyone, so my mum took over. Other relatives helped out, too, which just sort of happens. You don't ask; you just do. Mi casa, su casa and all that jazz.

The only problem is that I'm not getting enough sleep now. Ever since the baby shower, I set my alarm at the ungodly hour that I always to in order to get to the gym by 6 am. The alarm goes off and it seems so hard to get out of bed. That's unusual. I've been hitting the sack before 9:30 for the last two days, but you'd never know.

This is a drag because I'm participating in a six-hour spin-a-thon Saturday to raise money for the local hospital's ER (they need a new adult crash cart). Three others and myself are dressing up like The Incredibles (naturally, I'm Violet, and most of you who read this know why) and we've agreed to take 30-minute turns on the stationary bike. And it won't be simple cycling. No, it will be half-hour classes by instructors from four different area gyms. I have to pack lots of water and probably some food, or I might just phone Husband to walk over a sandwich or something to me. I really have no idea what to expect except that I will probably be very tired.

And thanks to those of you who have sponsored me, including those who don't even live in my town. My sister said, as she wrote down her name, "I'll sponsor you because I encourage your craziness but also because I'll feel better if Dad's crappy ticker konks out when he's visiting you."

3 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Did you send me a link to sponsor you? If not shame shame! Hook me up, if there's still time I totally will!

Anonymous said...

The following website summarizes over 525 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 370 cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com

Anonymous said...

I won't comment on the other Jehovah Witness related post, but I will clarify that she wouldn't have had to leave the room if there was a toast. She just wouldn't have raised her glass. No one would have noticed anyway.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing