Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Elroy is my Homeboy

I knew the day would come that Middle Child would ask me a question I couldn't answer.

I thought it would be about chemistry or quantum physics or calculus. But no. He got me on vocabulary. Me! On vocabulary!

"Mum, how do you spell 'acolyte?'"

I had never heard this word before.

"Er, could you put it in a sentence?"

"Dr. Frankenstein's acolyte was meddling."

I confessed I had no clue. We were at Baby Boy's nursery school at the time and I didn't have access to a dictionary. Needless to say, Middle Child wasn't impressed.

I told this story to Baby Sister. "So, Jen, are you prepared to have a son who is smarter than you?"

"But he already IS!"

And on a different note, I have an excuse to watch the Grammys. The Police will be playing. If you knew me when I was a preteen, you would understand my excitement. I went to The Police Picnics. I still love Outlandos D'Amour, good stuff before Sting got all academic and boring. Andy Summers was recently interviewed on The Hour. He's still so damned cool. And he's as old as my mum.

2 other lazy people left a message:

Slowplum said...

Um. Seriously? You've never heard the word acolyte? That just blows my mind. Also I love The Police but can't stand the Grammys and still don't think I'll watch... I'll just wait for a half million people to post it on YouTube.

Anonymous said...

Who are these geniuses you associate with? I’ve never heard the word acolyte either? It must be our dumb family.

Baby Sister

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing