Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Intention Was Good

It almost always is.

I had volunteered to start Daughter's class on the Flat Stanley Project. This is an initiative to teach children a little geography, language arts and social studies by sending a paper doll somewhere far away. The person (often family or friend) who receives the Flat Stanley takes it around for a week and then write about the paper doll's adventures. When the week is over, the doll and the journal is sent back to the student who sent it.

The principal of the school caught wind and insisted that the children write their own letters, which, at their age, is very tough for most. So now all the kids are at different stages in the project, making it a little confusing for the teacher, it appears. She's going behind the boss' back and gave the kids a photocopied fill-in-the-blank journal to speed things up. A good idea; I hope it works.

Anyway, there was one boy who had no family to send his Flat Stanley to. So I emailed a bunch of schools on the Flat Stanley website and - finally - I heard back from one. And I'm stoked. He'll be sending one to Whitefish River First Nation.

I hope the kid he's partnered with really gets into what it's like up there. But with how the project is going so far, I'm betting the journal will be filled with "I watched CBC Kids and then played XBox. Mom made hot dogs for dinner."

The class project is out of my hands now, save for sending this one Flat Stanley to the reserve. And now I got a letter from the Resource Teacher at the school asking if I'd help with their literacy program every blinking Tuesday morning. This is in addition to being asked to help the kindergarten class for 90 minutes every Thursday. Doesn't the school board have employees for this?

0 other lazy people left a message:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing