Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm an Adult Now

Daughter is into Avril Lavigne. She's been listening to her for about three years now, but, being a pre-teen, Avril is part of her identity. She's dressing like her. She's reading everything about Avril. She's a member of her fan club. Frankly, I'd rather she'd be into her than having her singing around the house about her "lovely lady lumps."

Niece found the Beatles at summer camp this year. She's borrowed her Granny's CDs and when her brother sings along, she defiantly tells him, "You can't like the Beatles. They're MY group!" I wonder if she knows how old the songs really are.

My boys will listen to just about anything, really. They have their favourites. Currently, Baby Boy is digging on Peter, Björn and John and, since getting the Shrek 3 soundtrack for his birthday, Middle Child is just loving Led Zeppelin of all things.

So, good and groovy mum that I strive to be, I made a mixed CD of Zeppelin songs for him. And I confess here that I've been just cranking it in the car.

Yes. Led Zeppelin. Me. All of you who know me can stop laughing now.

I'm a west-end girl from Toronto (I don't usually get personal but I've learned that my efforts for anonymity on the 'net are shite). By and large, west-enders don't go east, and vice versa. Honestly, the first time I hung out in Scarborough was when I was 20 (unless you count my cousin's baptism) and, until then, I always painted that end as populated with a bunch of long-hairs who go to Laser Floyd at the Planetarium, spitting out sunflower seed shells and hanging out at donut shops. And pregnant teens. And Led Zeppelin. Lots of Zeppelin. In other words, everything I was not.

Zeppelin to me was just my cue that the high school dance was going to end. Like I wanted to slow dance to "Stairway to Heaven" with some guy with lame come-ons like, "I guess I can't hide my affection for you." I would rather cut an apple in half and watch it turn brown.

Did you see "Wayne's World"? Mike Myers said many times it was a pure reflection of living in Scarborough.

Then what of the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene in the Mirthmobile? High school friends of mine who read this now (thanks, Facebook!) can attest that I did that all the time.

I guess it's a sign that I'm – gasp! – mature. I can look past labels now and accept things at face value. I can listen to Led Zeppelin without looking over my shoulder and play it as loud as anything else I like.

But I still can't stomach Husband's Steely Dan.

3 other lazy people left a message:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely do I remember you channelling your inner Freddie Mercury in my car. My brother always had the radio on Q107 but as I remember you would actually say "Let's pretend we're in Scarboro" and we'd do the metal headbang with the windows rolled down in March, driving up Highway 10. you were the only one of us who knew Rush lyrics or whatever they were playing. Confess: you had a Scarborough boy stashed away!

Slowplum said...

Man don't knock Steely Dan

Jules said...

Given a choice, Steely all the way... I grew up with that music given the older siblings in my house. That and Genesis - okay. Yes - ick. Pink Floyd - oh do I have stories. Old Arrowsmith - Toys in the Attic - whoohoo! Are any of these bands in my iTunes, nahuh but I appreciate their place in my development! Or lack thereof. LOL (I know you hate that LOL thing but you're going to have to suck it up!)

My buddy Kim and I used to make up fake Zeppelin lyrics when we were, um, stoned, and working at Mac's Milk on Huron St., ahhhh, what fun "there's a lady who's short..."

The Stones were more fun... I think it was in a MAD magazine - what else do you do when you work at Mac's but read the mags and eat crap food.

"(Space theme) I. Can't. Get. No-oh. Warp drive action. I can't get no spacial traction. Though I tried. Overdrive. And I blew. At warp 5. I can't..."

You get the idea.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing